Friday, January 13, 2017

What's better than, "So what was it about?"

     Reading -- by now we all know how important it is.  Even without being told, we (parents, teachers, human beings) know that reading is critical to the success of our children.  Exposing kids to different genres, types of print, ways to access books -- all key components in literacy growth.  As parents though, sometimes knowing for sure if our kids are reading can be really tough.  I'll be honest, sometimes, as a teacher, it can be tough! We can't read every book out there.  So what do we do about this? How can we make sure our kids are reading, but in a way that doesn't kill the joy.  I certainly don't want to write a book report when I finish my books.  In school, the reality is that there are things kids will do around reading that won't always be fun.  That's life.  But at home, it can be a different story.
     I have a three year old, and while she is very chatty and forthcoming about things that don't necessarily need to be shared with the world, when it comes to talking about what she does at preschool, I get the "I don't know" or the "Nothing" that make me want to throttle something.  Listen, kid, I know you did stuff at school!!
     So, I have to think carefully, employing all my best teacher tools to get at what they really might have done in her three year old class.  And you may find yourself doing the same thing with your 4, 5, 6, ... 15 year old.  I am a literacy coach, I cannot have that kid that won't talk books with me.  That would totally ruin my reputation, not to mention my kids future success as a genius. :) I joke, but truly, I have had to really employ some strategies that I want to share with you in hopes that you can open up some book talks in your home in a way that fosters a love of reading instead of making it feel like a chore right up there with getting your kid to eat her vegetables.

In pre-k through about 1st grade, stories are simplistic.  Language, pictures, and storylines in these books are very surface. There are few characters and they don't change much.  The setting is static.  Problems are simple and solved fairly quickly.
Asking questions like:

  • Who is in your story? What are their names? 
  • Where is all that happening? Is it in a house? A neighborhood? A city? How do you know? What do you see in the pictures?
  • Does this person, place remind you of anything? 
    • Here, because this level of books are short and sweet - it's easy to model for your child.  Saying, "Oh goodness! All that snow on the cover, that reminds me of the snow we got last year! Did _______ (character's name) do the same things we did in the snow?"
  • What was your favorite part of the book? Favorite picture? 

As the books get longer, it gets harder to engage in conversations around the book because they are very one-sided.  If you haven't read it, you can't participate much.  But you can ask some questions that could spur some talking, like:
  • Who are the main people in the book? What is their relationship to each other? How do they feel about each other? 
  • When is the story happening? Is it current, past, future? How do you know?
  • Who else would like this book? Why?
  • Did this book remind you of anyone/anything/another book? Why?
  • Has anything surprised you? Made you sad? Made you mad? 
    • Asking how the book is making your child feel can really get at the heart of how well they understand the book.  If they aren't feeling anything, are they getting it? Most authors write to elicit certain emotions.
  • Has ______________(character) changed at all? 

Finally, as we all know, conversations are much more productive when all parties are involved.  As you engage your child in talking about their book, you have to participate.  Really listen to what they are saying and respond in real ways.  Share your thoughts about a book you are reading or have read.  Make connections to what they are saying.  
Hey, you could even read the same book and have a book club with your child.  

Your children are talking about books in their classroom, with their teachers and friends.  Fostering more talk about books at home will only benefit them more! 

Get reading and get talking!! And I'll do my best to find out what my child is actually doing in her class :) 

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    Thanks for your fantastic reading tips. As a busy parent it is great to have tips along the way. I appreciate your ideas on how to keep our children engaged and reading. I agree an active discussion shows our children that we are interested in what they are reading which is another way to keep the dialog going. As children grow up they tell you less and less of what happens everyday. Especially in middle school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVEN AN OLDIE LIKE ME NEEDS YOUR TIPS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete